College is undoubtedly one of the best phases of students' lives. They are slowly progressing, learning a lot of things, and most importantly, living the most fun chapter of their lives. Moreover, they are growing into adults and choosing the right career paths for their future professional lives. However, this is not all college is about; it is a rollercoaster ride full of ups and downs.
Mental health conditions like stress
, depression, and anxiety are constant companions of college students. It is like a cycle; the never-ending stress of exams and assignments leads to anxiety, anxiety further leads to depression, and so on. Not just studying, but staying alone and away from your family and friends in a dorm room also mental health problems in college students.
So, are you a college student relating to all these mental health problems and causes we mentioned above? Don’t worry; we are here to help you out. Mental health problems are real, but it is also possible to get rid of them without medications. To give you a helping hand, we are sharing 10 ways for college students to improve their mental health and live the best college life possible! But first, let us briefly go through some main causes why college students suffer from mental health conditions. Keep Reading!
Causes Of Mental Health Crisis Among College Students
Here is a list of some common reasons why college students face mental health conditions and crises during their academic lives:
- College students have a constant pressure of succeeding in their exams and academics.
- Some college students also go through financial stress and pressure for college fees and pocket money.
- They are also anxious because they can’t make the decision of which career path or profession to choose. In simple words, the uncertainty about the future makes them nervous.
- Most college students live in different cities and states, away from their parents, siblings, and childhood friends. This loneliness becomes the main cause of their depression and sadness.
- Personal rivalry can make college students competitive, and this feeling of competitiveness can make them stressed and anxious.
- Bullying is also a key cause that makes college students depressed and anxious. In rare cases, bullying can make them suicidal. This is why many colleges have anti-bullying departments on campus.
- Increased use of social media use is also the main cause of mental health conditions among college students. Social media portrays unrealistic and lavish beauty and living standards, which most students are not able to achieve. This further makes them depressed. Social Media channels are also full of depressing news from all over the world; another cause!
- Seeking professional help for mental health conditions is still a stigma in some societies. This stigma makes college students hesitant for seeking professional help, and this hesitancy worsens their mental health disorders.
Ways And Tips For College Students To Improve Their Mental Health
Now that we know about the possible causes, let us go through some tips on how college students
can keep their mental health conditions in a top-notch condition. Read on!
1. Focus On Self Care
Self-care is one of the most important things for college students to keep their mental health in the best condition! College academics can be hard, but that does not mean you stop taking care of yourself. Do things that you love doing; art & craft, singing, reading, photography, and much more. Apart from this, you can take some time out for yourself during the day and watch a movie or a show you like. Apart from this, you can also take a nice, warm, and hot bubble bath to fight away all the stress. Focusing on self-care activities will surely help you deal with your mental health conditions.
2. Maintain A Balance
Apart from studies, some college students also do part-time jobs for their expenses. While there is nothing wrong with doing side jobs, don’t take on too much. Don’t try to do overtime or take shifts that can make you tired. The same goes with joining college clubs. The activities in these clubs can sometimes make you overburdened. So maintain a balance and only do so much that you can take; doesn’t matter if it is taking part in activities or doing part-time jobs.
3. Focus On Your Sleep
Sleep is something college students always lack. They pull countless all-nighters and survive on literally 2 hours or no sleep. However, that should not be the case. Getting 8 hours of peaceful and restful sleep is extremely important for your mental health. If not 8, at least 6 hours of sleep is a must.
4. Eat Healthily
Trust me; your gut and your brain are connected. What you eat is surely going to affect your brain. Therefore, don’t just focus on eating pizzas, burgers, and all the junk food you can eat. Not just junk, but highly processed food items can also be harmful to both your physical and mental health. So, try to include healthy foods like fruits and vegetables in your diet. I know it will be a little hard, especially when you are living alone, but please do it.
5. Stay Connected With Friends & Family
Try to stay in touch with your friends and family back home. No matter how many new friends you make, the comfort of talking to family and childhood friends is unmatchable. Always take some time out of your day to call them. Also, try to go back home during weekends and holidays. Staying connected with friends and family will keep you sane.
6. Morning Walks
Going on a regular morning walks outside can heal so many of your problems, including mental health disorders. Nature and breathing in the fresh air right after waking up gives you inner satisfaction and fills your brain with optimism and positivity.
7. Mental Health Exercises
If you feel like your anxiety and depression are taking over your happiness, try doing some mental health exercises. Mental health exercises include painting, sketching, laughing out loud, and mindfulness. Journaling is known to be the best mental health exercise that allows you to let all your feelings out. Apart from this, singing and listening to music can also be therapeutic and a great mental health exercise.
Meditation is known to be the best way to get rid of mental health disorders like stress, anxiety, and depression. It can also give a boost to the confidence, self-esteem, and self-awareness of individuals. Meditation not only helps in improving mental health but also makes people physically strong and healthy.
9. Regular Workouts
Staying physically active and indulging in regular workouts can release endorphins in your body; feel happy hormones. These hormones make you instantly feel good while lowering your stress levels. Moreover, regular workouts also help in distracting your mind from all the negative thoughts and scenarios.
10. Take Professional Help
In the end, it is important to understand that there is no shame or harm in taking professional help for your mental health. Whenever you feel like things are getting out of control, immediately seek help from a therapist to stop things from getting worsen. After all, your mental health should be your top priority, not society.
College and stress are best friends, and there is no denying that. However, if you follow the ways and tips we mentioned above, you can surely break this harmful friendship. So, what are you waiting for? Just follow the tips we mentioned above and improve your mental health effectively.
Find Top Tutors in Your Area